Saturday 4 June 2011

a vivid end to the week

Hurray! Week one of my internship survived, and enjoyed! I didn’t exactly enjoy the 6:30am starts, or the long commute into Sydney, but the gorgeous Baker’s Oven Café on George Street cured me of my morning grumpiness with a large cappuccino and fabulously friendly staff.
My week has consisted mainly of research. I’m pretty sure I’ve read everything there is to real about early colonial bricks and Peters Ice Cream.
I am also loving Trove, an online initiative by the National Library of Australia to digitise, and make searchable, a number of resources, such as books, newspapers, pictures, objects, letters, maps and websites. It’s absolutely fantastic, especially if you love old photographs, like I do!
Check it out here http://trove.nla.gov.au/
My week finished with a lovely dinner out with my mum, and then a wander through The Rocks and Circular Quay to check out the Vivid Sydney lights and displays after work… I won’t lie, I was expecting it to be a little tacky, but it was actually amazing and beautiful. Photos can’t really do it justice since everything was constantly moving and changing, but I tried…


















2 comments:

  1. Ill say it again..ahhhhmazing!!!! how do you blog a link, or say i just type a word and i want it to link somewhere?? curious george!
    peters icecream??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to go see it, its so awesome! come on friday and I'll come meet you after work!
    I typed the link and put it in little arrows <>... I don't know if the arrows did anything, or if it hyperlinked itself though, so maybe try without the arrows and see what happens?
    There's a handpainted Peters Ice Cream sign on 120 Gloucester Street, I'd post a pic, but its been vandalised =( the conservators are going to clean it up and put a protective cover on it, and I'm researching the text that will go with it... Worst assignment ever, I have such a craving for ice cream!
    longest reply post ever? possibly!

    ReplyDelete